Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Quilt WiP: " It was the 80s" - Block 16

Pat's next block is called "Friendship Block".   There are a ton of quilt blocks with that name, but this one actually reminds me a bit of "Card Trick", though it's much simpler to put together.   I salvaged part of another of the dark 9 patches for one of the fabrics in this block.


The 9 patches are only four and a half inches cut (four inches finished), and I needed five inches cut, so I pieced the larger unit.   But if I had just added on the half inch, that would have meant that the 'extension' seam and the 'actual' seam would be practically on top of each other.   So I moved the extension seam up to 1.75 inches from the bottom of the piece.   I chose that distance because that is the width of the side piece with one seam sewn.    Hopefully that will make the 'extension' seam less obtrusive.   Of course, with fabric this busy, your eye doesn't see the seams anyhow.   But I'm fussy that way.  LOL.   12 x 12 inch finished block; though the grid is not immediately apparent, it's actually a 16 patch.

I didn't, by the way, piece the medium blue.   I wanted to preserve as much of that print as possible.  It's an interesting large scale tone on tone 'cabbage rose'.  I wish I had enough to fussy cut a bit, but I'm already down to just about a fat quarter with another 9 blocks and a bunch of sashing to go.
Block 16


The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.